Checking out the travel section of the NY Times has undoubtedly become one of my routines. The In Transit section and the Frugal Traveler provide some of the more interesting stories and perhaps the most useful tips whilst traveling. Today's In Transit section had me linked through to Budgettravel.com where I ran across this article: Q&A: An around-the-world trip, minus the plane.
Interesting ...
I read on through the interview and sure enough, there were some pretty unconventional ways of getting around - I'll let you guys know if I manage to hitchhike from Singapore to Australia ... on a freighter. Seth Stevenson's account of his journey can be found in his book, Grounded: A Down to Earth Journey Around the World (pictured here).
I would start with the interview first on Budgettravel.com ... Here's my favorite part:
Q: What surprised you most about the trip?
A: Once you become accustomed to living out of a backpack, it's amazing how little you miss the possessions you left back home. We'd put some things in storage, and at one point I realized I wouldn't care one bit if all those objects burnt to ash and blew away.
Also, before you go: You might want to have a game plan—or at least be emotionally prepared—for dealing with Asian squat toilets.
A: Once you become accustomed to living out of a backpack, it's amazing how little you miss the possessions you left back home. We'd put some things in storage, and at one point I realized I wouldn't care one bit if all those objects burnt to ash and blew away.
Also, before you go: You might want to have a game plan—or at least be emotionally prepared—for dealing with Asian squat toilets.

No comments:
Post a Comment